'Cliffe Policy On Cigarettes Is Undecided

"Radcliffe has enunciated no policy as yet" concerning the cigarette machines in the Houses, Kenneth V. Thimann, Master of East House, said yesterday.

Giles Constable, Master of North House, said that it will be up at the next meeting of the Radcliffe Masters. There is a possibility that Radcliffe will adopt Harvard's ruling on the machines.

At Harvard, cigarette machines are not supposed to be repaired or replaced according to a recent ruling by L. Gard Wiggins, administrative vice president. Wiggins is now considering whether the machine installed last week in Eliot House will be removed.

Meetings of the masters are not scheduled, but must be called by Mrs. Bunting; the last one was held a few days ago.

Bunting Must Decide

The decision whether or not to adopt such a policy in the Radcliffe Houses will have to be made by Mrs. Bunting, Master Thimann, Giles Constable, Master of North House, and Samuel E. Thorne, Master of South House.

Thorne said, "now that she's going away, she may not call another.."

Constable feels, however, that it will not necessarily take a meeting to settle this issue. "We can act informally as well as in a meeting. That decision could probably be made over the telephone," he said.

Subject Didn't Come Up

Radcliffe "probably should have adopted Harvard's policy, but it didn't come up" at the last meeting of the masters. Constable added.

Constable had not previously known that there were cigarette machines at Radcliffe, but "if I'd thought of it, I'd have brought it up myself." Master Thimann of East House said he knew of "no cigarette machines in Cabot or Whitman or Eliot.

There are ten cigarette machines at Radcliffe. These are located in Agassiz, the Graduate Center, six of the nine dormitories. 124 Walker Street, and Jordan J and K.