Polish Court Clears Field, Returns Bail

The Polish supreme court threw out Friday the conviction of a Harvard grduate student who had been convicted of assaulting a border guard.

A three-man panel of the court ruled that the student--Andrew Field a former teaching fellow in Slavic Languages and Literature,--had actually been guilty of "improper behavior in the presence of an official performing his duty," a much less serious offense.

Friday's ruling reversed a verdict rendered in Lubin Feb. 15, when Field was given a suspended jail term of eight months, and reduced his punishment to a line of $125, plus $18.75 in court costs.

The supreme court also ordered that Field's $3000 bail be returned to him.

Judged Rebukes Lower Court

In announcing the decision, Chief Judge S. Kotowshi said that the provincial court in Lublin "had not handled this case very properly." He said that it was clear from the trial record that Field "had no intention of striking or insulting an official on duly."

The assault charge against Field, who was arose from a dispute Jan. 21 between him and Lt. Jan Knap, a border aboard a Moscow-Paris express . The guard questioned the validity Harvard's transit visa.

It was held for ten days before his on bail. He stayed in Poland for after the first trial, hoping to bail money back, but went to last month. He will probably Cambridge before the end of the year.