Varsity Lightweights Beat Columbia, Rutgers; J.V. Third Boats Also Take Season Debuts

By C. BOYDEN Gray

Inexperience made little difference on the Charles Saturday, as the Crimson's sophomore-laden lightweight crew rowed to a convincing two-and-a-half length victory over Columbia and Rutgers in Harvard's opening crew race.

It was an impresive beginning for Coach Fred Cabot, who had just hit upon his first boat combination a couple of days before the race. His JV and third boats also won handily in a very confused and lengthy afternoon which included races between M.I.T., Dartmouth and Yale and which closed with Harvard's varsity race just before nightfall.

Stroking for the first time in competition, sophomore Peter Schwab took the varsity to a quick lead over Columbia and Rutgers at the start. After a quarter mile, the Crimson had a length advantage, understroking the opposition, from the very beginning.

Columbia Grabs Second

Setting down for the body of the race at a 31 1/2, Schwab continued to row several strokes lower than Columbia and Rutgers, and his boat pulled away for good just after passing under the Harvard bridge. Neck and neck with Rutgers for the whole Henley distance of a mile and five sixteenths, Columbia squeezed into second place by a deck-length in the last few strokes of the race.

The varsity win was not much of a surprise. Minutes earlier, Cabot's JV's had crushed Columbia by seven lengths--the biggest margin of the afternoon and a remarkable one for such a short distance. Stroke Galen Brewater's galiant sprit effort--with Columbia lengths behind and nearly out of sight--brought a roar of approval from the crowd lining the shore.

If times means anything at all, the races Saturday indicate that Cabot has the potential for a very good season. The varsity's clocking of 7:20 over the Henley course was nearly five seconds faster--over a shell length--than M.I.T.'s time in its victory over Yale and Dart mouth immediately preceding the Crimson contest.

The lightweights face M.I.T, and Dartmouth here next week for the Biglin Cup. The Engineers was the sup last year by a large margin over the Crimson, and defeated the lightweights again at the Sprints. A victory next week could put the Crimson back in serious contention for lightweight honors this spring.