Radcliffe Buys New Off-Quad House

Radcliffe's fighting spirit has been raised by plans to move residents of Saville House even farther off-campus to 54 Concord Avenue.

The Concord Avenue house will be rented next year to replace Saville, which will be torn down this summer to make room for the Library Study Center. The new off-campus house is located behind the Observatory, about a block away from the rest of Radcliffe.

Angry Cliffies complained about the location and the design of the new house. Observing that it is in themiddle of a residential district not accustomed to Cliffies, one girl said she was sure that "we'll disturb the neighbors and they'll probably disturb us."

Another disgruntled Saville resident declared, "If they're going to make us living an ugly house, at least they could find one nearer the Square."

Other prospective residents termed the Concord Ave. House "not a fit place for young girls to live in." Its position between a park and the Observatory roused cries of "isolated" and "dangerous."

The design of the house also caused discontent among its future occupants. They complained particularly about the two singles located in the basement.