Trackmen Rout Princeton As Pardee Tops Hartnett

The Crimson trackmen gave their Heptagonal hopes a big boost Saturday with an impressive 96-54 win over Princeton on the Tigers' home ground. Captain Ed Meehan, Art Croasdale, Aggrey Awori, and Chris Ohiri all scored doubles as Bill McCurdy's forces captured 14 of the 17 events.

Sophomore ace Chris Pardee won his ballyhooed high jump clash with John Hartnett, beating the Tiger captain at 6 ft., 6 1/4 in. on fewer misses. Cold weather held both jumpers well below their peak height of 6 ft., 9 in., although Pardee went over the bar twice at 6 ft., 8 in., only to knock it off with his trailing leg.

Meehan rebounded from last week's upset half-mile loss against Holy Cross with victories in both the mile and 880-yard and mile runs. He covered the longer distance in a fine 4:14.1, well ahead of Princeton's Ross O'Dell, then came back with only twenty minutes' rest to beat Tiger Terry O'Keeffe in a stirring 880 duel. Displaying his finest Meehanesque style of the spring season, he lay behind for most of the race, coming on to pass O'Keeffe twenty yards from the tape. The time was 1:53.2.

Croasdale Wins Easily

Croasdale got his double with a 182 at 10 1/2 in. hammer throw, and a 52 ft. 7 in. shot put. The hammer distance, Croasdale's best of the spring season, was a whopping 17 1/2 feet farther than Tiger Ernie Pascarella's second-place heave.

Awori beat Princeton's John Rall, sprint champion in the indoor Heps, in both the dashes. His times over the rough Palmer Stadium track were 0:10.0 and 0:22.2. Ohiri took the broad jump with a 22 ft., 4 1/4 in. leap, and added a first place in the triple jump with a 46 ft., 11 in. effort.

The other Crimson field victories came in the javelin, where Tom Holcombe posted a 191 ft. 8 3/4 in. toss, and in the discus, as John Bakkensen set a meet, stadium, and Harvard record with a 169 ft., 10 1/4 in. effort.

The Crimson's Tony Lynch and Jack Spitzberg finished one-two in both hurdle events, with Spitzberg nabbing first place in the 120 highs with a 0:14.8 clocking and Lynch getting the 440-intermediates victory with a time of 0:53.5.

Sophomore Walt Hewlett shook off the aches and pains from last Tuesday's Boston marathon run to cop first place in the two-mile. Hewlet's 9:17.5 timing beat Kelly Somers by five yards.