Panel Reaffirms Sayre Dismissal

Woodrow Wilson Sayre, the assistant professor of Philosophy who didn't publish his research, has lost another bid for tenure at Tufts University. The faculty advisory committee on personnel, reviewing his case for the second time, ruled that Sayre's teaching ability is insufficient reason for granting him tenure.

"It is not at all evident that Prof. Sayre's teaching so outshines that of his colleagues that he deserves tenure on that basis," the committee's 4-1 decision stated.

Reached for comment last night, Sayre charged "bad inaccuracies in the report" but refused to elaborate. He is "not really surprised," he said, but is "disappointed" anyway.

The lone dissenter on the committee, Prof. Lewis F. Manly, chairman of the economics department, questioned the wisdom of the report. "It gives the impression that the only way a young man can get tenure is to run around with a sheaf of publications," he said in an interview yesterday. The report should have been deferred, Manly said, "until people have calmed down a bit."

Sayre had asked the committee to reconsider his case solely on the basis of his teaching. Earlier this month, the committee approved an administration decision that Sayre's appointment not be renewed. The administration cited as the reason his lack of "scholarly contribution."

The final decision on Sayre's status will not be made until May 9, when the full Board of Trustees votes. But, said Manly. "As I see it, Prof. Sayre doesn't have a job for next year."