SPRING

Sports '67

By Robert J. Samuelson

A huge question mark hangs over the Yard. It is still too early and many of the squads have practiced too little--to forecast how most freshman teams will do this spring.

Of the six spring teams, track seems to be the best bet to turn in a good record. Having enjoyed a healthy 7-1 winter season, the squad faces games against seven teams, six of which it easily defeated during December and February.

However, Brown, the sole newcomer, should offer some real competition. The Bruins also had a pretty good indoor season--they finished undefeated.

The picture is less clear for the five other freshman squads.

On the tennis courts, Corey Wynn will be working with most of the same boys he tutored last fall. Right now it looks like Bill Appleyby will fill the number one position with Nick Hoogs and Brian Davis at the number two and three spots.

The baseball team practiced in Briggs cage for about three weeks before spring recess. On the basis of this skimpy observation, coach Nat Harris cautiously says that his team has pretty good depth at the plate and on the mound. His chief worry, Harris believes, will be infield defense.

Currently he is looking for a short-stop. The chief candidate for the position. Paul Thorton, is unfortunately one of the strongest pitching candidates, and Harris is wary to use him in both spots.

A few steps from the diamond, on the Charles River, the heavyweight and lightweight crews are culminating a rigorous training schedule which began last fall.

Since October more than 40 boys have been practicing, first in shell barges on the Charles, then in the tanks at Newell Boat House. They have been working six days a week since the beginning of the spring term. In early March they moved from the tanks to shells and remained in Cambridge over spring recess for twice-daily practice.

Only Nine Regattas

All this devotion will be utilized in just five regattas for the heavyweights and four for the lightweights.

In contrast to the long-suffering crew the lacrosse team has just begun practice and the golf squad won't have its first official meeting until Thursday.

More than 40 hopefuls turned out for lacrosse. Roughly half, however, haven't played the game before, and Coach Jim Lentz will have to work hard to get the team ready for the opener next Wednesday against perennially strong Deerfield Academy.