Ripley Leads Netmen To N.E. Tourney Win

Number one player Frank Ripley won the singles title and led Harvard to a decisive team victory in the New England Intercollegiate Tennis Tournament at Williams this weekend.

Ripley defeated teammate Chum Steele, the Crimson's number four player 7-5, 6-2 in the singles final. Steele had eliminated Yale's top player, Dennis Lynch, to reach the finals.

Williams' Pete Allen and Bill Ewen pulled an upset to win the doubles, coming from behind to beat top-seeded Ripey and Bob Inman 4-6, 6-4, 6-1.

Ripley, who was runner-up in the tournament for the last two seasons, breezed through six singles matches without losing a set to get into the finals.

Harvard won the team title going away, with 28 points to 18 for Williams and Yale. The squad also piled up the eight points needed to retire the tournament's team trophy. A win in either singles or doubles counts one point; a runnerup's berth counts a half. Harvard entered this year's competition with six points already to its credit from previous years.