Thimanns Leave East House Posts; Instituted Plan for Judicial Boards

Kenneth V. Thimann, Higgins Professor of Biology, and Mrs. Thimann, will retire as Heads of East House this June when their three-year terms expire.

Thimann, the first Head appointed under the Radcliffe House system, originated the concept of Judicial Boards to supplant the Board of Hall Presidents. The scheme, he said last night, was formed out of his desire "to provide bridges between staff and students."

Judicial Boards are the only student faculty groups organized on a House basis. President Bunting yesterday lauded the progress of the Boards, saying they "will undoubtedly play an increasingly important part in recommending future legislation by the Radcliffe Government Association and in achieving wider community understanding of College policies."

Another of his objectives as Head of East House. Thimann said, was to "introduce intellectual aspects into House life." He arranged for informal talks by visiting dignitaries (including Madame Nhu and the late Elcanor Roosevelt), a program of concentration dinners, a film series, and a poetry seminar.

A reception in honor of the Thimanns will be held tonight in Cabot Hall.