Crusaders Down Nine On 7-Run Third Inning

Things just didn't quite click for the varsity baseball squad yesterday. If their play against Holy Cross had been just a little smoother, or hits a little more strategically timed--or even if the third inning had never existed--it all might have been different.

But it wasn't. The Crusaders blasted the Crimson 7-1, with all seven runs--five of them unearned--coming on four hits and two Crimson errors in the third inning. In addition, Harvard stranded twelve runners on the bases in the course of the afternoon, leaving the bases loaded on two separate occasions.

Signs of trouble appeared early. The Crusaders tagged Andy Luther for two solid hits in each of the first two innings, but the tough senior managed to pitch his way out of both situations.

The third inning began auspiciously enough, with Bill Brasail graciously making the first out. But then the roof fell in. Holy Cross shortstop John Wendelken's single was followed in quick succession by a double, a wild pitch, a walk, and a single, giving the Crusaders a 2-0 lead.

The Crusaders then filled the bases on an infield hit before Harvard got the second out of the inning on a forceout at the plate. It looked like the nightmare had ended when. Holy Cross pitcher Skip Falcone's bad throw let in two Dick Joyce hit a dribbler to second, but more runs. The Crimson's Bob St. George then booted a grounder, and another Crusader checked in at the plate, bringing the Holy Cross lead to 5-0.

Wendelken, in his second appearance in the inning, doubled home two more before Luther finally got Tim Murtaugh on a long fly.

Harvard got its lone run in the fourth inning on two walks and a solid two-base blast by shortstop Tom Bilodeau. But Joyce bore down and snuffed out the Crimson rally without any further scoring. The Crimson did, however, obtain nine hits and seven walks from the highly-regarded Holy Cross hurler.