Varsity Trackmen Grab First-Round GBC Lead

A University record in the shot put and sweeps of the high jump and discus highlighted an all-Crimson afternoon at Brandeis yesterday, as McCurdy and Co took a comfortable 60-28 lead over Northeastern halfway through the Greater Boston Conference Track And Field Meet. The running events will be held today, beginning with the 440-yard relay at 4:50 p.m.

Art Croasdale set the shot put mark, heaving the 16-lb. weight 57 ft., 4 in. The toes was good for second place behind Northeastern's Carl Wallin, who set a meet record with his 58 ft., 5 in. effort.

John Bakkenson and Bill Pfeifer swept the discus, leaving Wallin in third place. Bakkenson's winning toss topped 167 ft., also a new meet mark.

Chris Pardee took the high jump as expected, but a pleasant surprise was Jack Spitzberg's 6 ft., 4 1/2 in. leap, as high as Pardee's winning jump but good only for second place because of Pardee's fewer misses. Spitzberg had taken a terrific spill on the asphalt track on route to qualifying for a hurdles hest, but scraped himself off the ground in time to make his second jump.

The other Harvard winner was Don Forte in the pole vault, who cleared 13 ft., 1 1/2 in. M.I.T.'s Gary Lukis took second place, with the Crimson's Jay Mahaney third.

Croasdale matched his shot put finish with a second place in the hammer throw. Hampered by a slippery throwing circle, he managed only a sub-par 168 ft. toes. Northeastern's Bill Corsetti won it with a 187 ft. heave.

Boston College's Henry Keller took the broad jump and the triple jump with Crimson competitors filling up the nether positions. Olufemi Olunloyo, Pardee, and Aggrey Awori all placed in the triple jump, and Pardee and Awori notched scoring positions in the broad jump also.

Northeastern's Dave Post won the javelin with a 195 ft. throw, with the Crimson's Tom Holcombe and Larry Ward placing second and third.

Captain Ed Meehan will lead the running troops in today's competition, as the Crimson seeks to duplicate its indoor Greater Boston track victory of last February.