Golf Team Bows To Strong Yale

By Sanford J. Ungar

The Crimson suffered defeat in New Haven yesterday to a perennially victorious Yalle golf squad. This looked like the team that might finally conquer Yale, but it went down, 5-2, under sunny spring skies.

Only captain Stan Abrams and Jim Campen, numbers one and two respectively, succeeded in defeating their counterparts on the well-balanced Eli seven. Abrams brought his season record to 5-2 as he won three and two.

Hegan Goes Down

Campen won his third match in a row by turning back nationally-known Dan Hogan, an all-American golfer who won the Easterns last year. Hogan went down by a score of two and one as Campen reached a season mark of seven wins and four losses.

John Olson, in the number six position, was the only other Crimson golfer to come close to victory. He lost one up in twenty holes.

Money

Despite the poor showing yesterday, the Crimson golfers were phased with the news that a six-year fight for mere substantial monetary support from the Harvard Athletic Association has ended in victory. Starting in July, the golfers will receive a grant of $1500 from the University. This will be added to the only previous income, $1000 annually from the Henderson Fund, which was established some time age by the Friends of Harvard Golf.

The team will enter the Eastern championships at Princeton this wekend, competing for both team and individual titles. Abrams and Campus, off their performances today, may have a shot at a top position.