Two Harvard Civil Rights Workers Released On $500 Bonds in South

Two Harvard civil rights workers in the South, jailed during the past ten days have been released on $500 bond pending trial.

Barry A. Goldstein '64, who was arrested in Gulfport, Miss. Thursday while registering ten Negro voters, had his case continued until July 24. He had been convicted under a new Mississippi antipicketing law; today a Federal District Court is ruling on a case filed in Hattiesburg testing the law's legality. If it is found unconstitutional, the case against Goldstein will probably crumble.

James W. Wiley, 2nd '65 was released Sunday from jail in Selma, Ala., after being held nine days on charges of trespassing. No date for a trial has been set. His case has been removed to a Federal court, although Alabama authorities may seek to have the case remanded to a state court.

Wiley and three other Negro SNCC workers were charged with trespassing after warning in Selma July 4 when they refused to leave a segregated restaurant after the manager had requested they do so.

Wiley was also charged with resisting arrest, but one of his lawyers indicated last night that this charge would probably not cause the Harvard junior much trouble. ("It usually means that a man was not walking as fast as the arresting officer would like him to.")

Goldstein and two other COFO workers were arrested Thursday on charges of "picketing and mass demonstration and blocking the ingress and egress to the (Harrison County) courthouse." Eight COFO workers were accompanying ten Negroes to the courthouse to vote. The sheriff approached the courthouse steps and ordered all persons not residents of Harrison County to move to the other side of the street. Wiley and the two others refused to comply.