University Press Plans to Reprint Scholarly Texts Edited by Rollins

As the first step in a new policy, the Harvard University Press announced last week that it will reprint two of its major works, editions of Tottel's Miscellany and of The Keats Circle: Letters and Papers, 1816-1878, edited by the late Hyder E. Rollins, Gurney Professor of English.

If these two reprints are received enthusiastically--as is expected--the Press will bring out more than a dozen other out-of-print texts edited by Rollins.

Only the Oxford University Press has consistently kept its outstanding scholarly work in print. A spokesman for Oxford in New York welcomed Harvard's announcement, and hoped that other university prosses would follow suit. He said that many out-of-print scholarly works are needed by new libraries.

The first reprint, that of the two-volume edition of Tottel's Miscellany, originally published in 1929, will be ready in December.

The two-volume edition on the Keats circle should appear in the spring. The new edition will include all the material from More Letters and Poems of the Keats Circle, published in 1955, along with the earlier edition of 1948.

Part of the money for reprinting will come from the interest of a bequest left to the English Department by Rollins at his doath in 1958. Rollins wanted the department to assist the Press in publishing scholarly works on English literature. At least six books have already benefited from his gift.

The reprints are being supervised by Walter Jackson Bate '39, Abbot Lawrence Lowell Professor of the Humanities, and Herschel Baker, professor of English.