Six Rights Groups To Register Negro Voters In Roxbury

A voter registration project sponsored by six civil rights organizations began this week in Roxbury, north Dorchester and the South End. Of an estimated 20,000 unregistered Negro adults in these sections, project officials hope to register 8-10,000 by election day, Nov. 3.

Canvassers will stress "immediate issues" in urging people to register, according to Byron Rushing '64-5, one of the project leaders. "You can't register people in a vacuum."

No One Pays Attention

"Our line is going to be that conditions can be improved if the people of the community are considered to be a political force. No one in city hall is paying any attention to them now because they don't have to," he said.

Rushing pointed to the problem of abandoned cars in Roxbury, to the bad paving in the streets, and to the lack of "tot lots" or children's playgrounds in the section, as immediate grievances.

The drive is strictly non-partisan, however, Rushing pointed out. The leaders are only concerned with making the people politically aware.

Registration, Then Education

Volunteers will be working intensively registering voters until Aug.7. No one may be registered for the thirty days preceeding the primary or the regular election, so the emphasis will switch to voter education until after the party primaries, Sept. 10.

The project is being jointly sponsored by CORE, NAACP, the Massachusetts Movement, the Northern Student Movement, the Boston Action Group and Freedom House, Inc.