Clive Is Named As Professor Of History and Lit.

John L. Clive, a historian of England, has been appointed professor of History and Literature. He is the first person to hold the title since the death of eminent scholar Francis Otto Matthieson in 1950.

The appointment becomes effective July 1, 1965. During 1964-65, Clive will be doing research as a fellow of the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences at Stanford.

Clive is known for his study, "Scotch Reviewers: The 'Edinburgh Review' 1802-1815," published in 1957. With Oscar Handlin, he edited Gottlieb Mittelbergor's "Journey to Pennsylvania in 1750." He is currently working on a volume entitled "The World of Macaulay."

Clive tutored in the History and Literature program at Harvard for 12 years, before joining the faculty of the University of Chicago in 1960.

Clive's appointment will give History and Literature, the oldest field of concentrated study in the college, its own senior scholar. Since the program began in 1906, it has been conducted by a committee of scholars drawn from the departments of History and the major literatures.

The field was created by a group of professors--including A. Lawrence Lowell, Barrett Wendell, Charles H. Haskins, Chester N. Greenough--who were dissatisfied with the scattering of undergraduate effort under President Charles W. Eliot's "free elective" system.

After Lowell became president in 1909, field became general in the College. the provision for concentrating a major part of an undergraduate's effort in one