RFK Names Vorenberg To Justice Dept. Post

James Vorenberg '49, professor of Law, has been appointed head of the newly created Office of Criminal Justice by Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy.

The general function of the office is to study and evaluate the effectiveness of the federal law system.

Vorenberg's duties are not being specifically defined in order to give him and his staff freedom to study whatever areas they deem most urgent.

However, such inequalities as the bail system and the inability of the poor to gain adequate legal defense will probably be among the first issues considered.

The office is also expected to study the parole system, rehabilitation procedures, and the problem of juvenile delinquency.

Vorenberg will head the office on a part-time basis so that he can continue to teach here. The 36-year old professor presently teaches criminal law. He was graduated from the College magnacum laude in 1949, and in 1951 from the Law School where he was president of the Law Review.

Kennedy pointed out that the new office will provide an opportunity for police and judicial authorities to get together and discuss methods of improving administration of criminal law.

More than Prosecution

The Attorney General said he created the office in order to be sure that "the department over which I preside is more than a Department of Prosecution and is in fact the Department of Justice.

"We intend that this office will deal with the whole spectrum of the criminal process from arrest to rehabilitation."

The agency will be composed of non-government workers in hopes of producing a more impartial study. Working with Vorenberg will be a staff of five or six full time lawyers.

Kennedy explained that "emotional obstacles" often obstruct dialogue between law professors and law prosecutors. He expressed the hope that the new office would alleviate that problem.