Survey May Result in Construction Of New University Parking Facilities

The parking survey circulated last week hopefully will result in the construction of new parking facilities, Harold L. Goyette, the University Planning Officer, said yesterday.

The new parking lots--should they be built--would be scattered all over the University and would most likely be limited to use by faculty and staff. Undergraduates would still be required to find private parking or use the University's Business School lot since the rental cost of any new spaces constructed on this side of the Charles would be prohibitive, Goyette added.

"We hope that the questionnaire will help us define the University's parking problem clearly," Goyette said. He admitted the present 500 parking spaces are neither adequate nor well-placed.

Continuing complaints from faculty and students as well as the constant congestion in Harvard Square prompted the Planning Office to design the survey which was mailed out last week to 23,000 student, faculty members, and employees.

The Planning Office is especially concerned about the mammoth parking problems that will be generated by visitors to the Kennedy Library. While parking for the library is not exclusively a University problem. Goyette said that whatever facilities are provided will probably be used mainly during the summer months.

Ideally, these facilities could be used to solve part of the University's parking problem during the academic year. "Anything we build from now on should be a multi-use facility," Goyette said, "meeting a different need at night than it does during the day.

Though the questionnaire should give the University a comprehensive picture of the parking problem with which it is faced, the solution will have to come in bits and pieces, Goyette said. He cited lack of funds and rapidly changing needs as two obstacles to a comprehensive solution.

Goyette said that his office is hoping for a 70-75 per cent response to the questionnaire. The faculty mailing, which went out two weeks ago, has generated a 50 per cent response so far, he added.

Each reply to the questionnaire is being coded on a punch card to facilitate automatic processing. Preliminary results should be available in six to eight weeks, and the Planning Office will then prepare an informal memorandum summarizing the findings, according to Goyette.

All new building construction undertaken by the University will have to include some parking facilities because of Cambridge zoning laws. Goyette noted that Holyoke Center, for example, will provide basement parking for 120 cars, once all phases have been completed.