Six Bows 5-3 to Green On Third Period Lapse

Harvard skated on even terms with a scrappy Dartmouth sextet for two periods last night in Hanover, but then yielded three goals in the final 20 minutes to lose 5-3.

The Crimson is now 4-10 overall and 0-3 in the Ivy League, and must wait until next semester to snap its current four-game losing streak.

The Green's Dean Mathews scored four times single-handedly giving Dartmouth its seventh straight win. Eddie Zellner tallied twice for the Crimson, while Pete Miller netted the third goal.

Wade Welch returned to the Harvard nets and made some fine stops in the last two periods to keep the score down. He had little chance on any of the Green goals, all of which were scored from close range.

Although the Crimson fell behind 2-0 in the first ten minutes of the game, it caught up 2-2 by the end of the second period. But the wild Indians fans sensed victory when Dartmouth pulled ahead 2-2 in the third period and they littered the ice with several frosen fish, and a live crimson-colored chicken.

Mathews opened the scoring at 5:10 of the first period in a two-on-one Indian break set up by Jim Cooper. At 9:28, just 15 seconds after a Harvard penalty, he made it 2-0 on a pass from behind the Crimson net by Doug Hayes.

Harvard fought back in a hurry. Zeliner scored his first goal at 10:10 during a Dartmouth penalty by steering in a cross-ice pass from Gordie Price, with Bob Coleman also assisting. Pete Miller drew the Crimson even with the only second-period goal of the game on passes from Kenny Burnes and Frank Mackey.

But when the Crimson slowed down in the final period, Dartmouth put the game out of reach. Bill Smoyer boosted the Indians ahead for good at 2:19 by tipping in Dick Larsen's shot, at which point the Indian rink was littered with wildlife.

Then Mathews scored twice more before Harvard could get untracked, once on a solo dash and once from a scramble in front of Welch. Zellner drew the Crimson to a two-goal deficit with just 13 seconds left in the game, on assists from Price and John Daly.