Lou Williams, '64 Marshal, Dies Abroad

Louis G. Williams, Second Marshal of the Class of '64, was found dead Thursday morning in his gas-filled room at Trinity College, Cambridge, England.

Williams, 22, was reading architecture at Cambridge on a one-year Fiske Fellowship. He had been accepted at Harvard Medical School for next year.

According to the Associated Press, a housemaid discovered Williams' body when she went to make up his room. She reported finding a towel draped over his face and more towels stuffed against the base of the door. The windows were closed. A coroner's inquest is expected to be held next week.

One of Williams' friends at Cambridge was reported as saying "He did not appear to have been worried about anything and in fact he was always saying how much he looked forward to going back to America for a short vacation."

Dean of Freshmen F. Skiddy von Stade Jr. '38, a long time friend of the Williams family, said last night that he had been shocked to hear the news from Williams' father Thursday morning. "Lou was one of the most remarkably versatile, intelligent, wonderful human beings I've ever known," he added.

While at Harvard, Williams lived in Eliot House and was a pre-medical student concentrating in government. He was Group II throughout his college career, and graduated Cum Laude in General Studies.

One of the outstanding athletes in the class, Williams earned nine varsity letters, three each in soccer, squash, and lacrosse. As a senior he captained the varsity soccer team, twice he earned All-Ivy, and once honorable mention All-American recognition at his fullback position.

A resident of Gladwyn, Pa., Williams was born in Providence, R.I. and attended Exeter for four years before coming to Harvard. He was a member of Hasty Pudding and the A.D. Club.

Funeral services will be held today in Cambridge, England. John Thorndike, Williams' roommate at Harvard also on a fellowship at Cambridge, will fly home Friday for services in Philadelphia.