Eagle Trackmen Oppose Crimson

"I don't know why anyone in his right mind would want to take on this Harvard track team," Coach Bill McCurdy said yesterday, but Boston College wants to and McCurdy has agreed to give the Eagles a chance.

B.C. Coach Bill Gilligan contacted the Harvard athletic department over the holidays in an effort to fill an open date on his schedule. McCurdy accepted the challenge and set the meet for Briggs Cage on Saturday with the first running event scheduled for 3 p.m.

The Crimson should win this one with ease to stretch its season's record to 3-0. The team's only casualties are pole vaulter Ken Winters, sidelined with a groin injury, and Coach McCurdy, who will spend the weekend in Chicago to keep an eye on the NCAA convention.

That leaves the squad in the hands of field events coach Ed Stowell. Stowell will be intent on making a good showing against B.C. since the Boston sportswriters delight in calling Gilligan the Bay's best coach in field performers.

Only a few of the Eagles are likely to make trouble for Stowell and his Crimson charges. Bob Gilvey is an excellent 600 man, and will be favored to beat out the Crimson's Keith Chiappa. But Chiappa's determination won him a first place over a favored opponent at Army and could make his race with Gilvey the most exciting of tomorrow's meet.

Eagle Phil Jutras has a chance to win the mile against the Crimson's erratic sophomore Jim Smith. John Odgen, weak from a flu attack over the holidays, will probably run only in the 1000.

B.C.'s Bill Norris, a fourth-place finisher in the Greater Boston cross-country meet this fall, won't beat Walt Hewlett but looks like a sure thing for second place in the two-mile. The only other Eagle runner reasonably sure of finishing that high is sprinter Roland Tessier, who should place right behind Aggrey Awori in the 40-yd. dash