Harvard Crews Takes 2nds In Regatta

Seventy shells paraded single file up the Charles Saturday afternoon in the first annual Head of the River Regatta. When an I.B.M. computer had finished cataloguing their times into twelve racing divisions, Harvard crews could claims good performances but no wins.

The senior fourswith-cox race, the Regatta's feature attraction, lost importance when the favored boat from the Vesper Boat Club didn't show up.

But Harvard's four-seniors Paul Gunderson, Geoff Picard, Harry Pollack, and Bill Weber, who represented the U.S. at the Tokyo Olympics - still came in second. A foursome from the Penn Athletic Club covered the course in 19:14, ten seconds under the Crimson time.

In the afternoon's final event, two Harvard eights came in second and third behind a high-stroking entry from Washington's Potomac Boat Club. The runnerup shell, composed mostly of junior aspirants for varsity seats, finished 32 seconds off Potomac's 15:48 mark. Harvard's second boat, made up of sophomores, completed the course five seconds later.

The significance of the defeats were limited, however, as both came at the hands of rowing clubs that had been working together over the summer.

Eliot House

Eliot House, Harvard's second great rowing power, kept the Crimson banner above water in the singles competition. Senior Paul Wilson, who trained in Europe this summer under a Swiss sculling master, won the college singles title with a 19:47 time.

Eliot House junior Larry Fogelberg added a first in the 155 pound senior singles division with a 19:55 clocking.

Arthur B. Smithies, Master of Kirkland House, finished a close third in the veterans singles competition, three minutes ahead of fellow Master Alvin M. Pappenhelmer of Dunster House.