Late Field Goal Helps Yardlings Down Dartmouth

A muddy duel between the Harvard freshman eleven and Dartmouth ended in a narrow 10-7 Crimson victory yesterday. Harvard's triumph came on the toe of Tom Wynne, who kicked a 20-yard field goal in the last six minutes of the game.

Harvard's lone touchdown came in the first period when the team captain, Vic Gatto, scored on a 15-yard off-tackle play. Wynne made the extra point giving Harvard an early 7-0 lead.

With less than a minute to go in the half, Indian quarterback Bill Kinschner threw a 20-yard touchdown pass to right end Tom Cronan. The Green got their extra point to tie the game.

The second half was a bitterly fought ground battle in which Crimson tackle Steve Kuziel gave an outstanding defensive performance. Kuziel, the largest man on the squad at 6-5 and 260 pounds moved quickly for his size and caught Green backs behind the line of scrimmage several times. Kuziel was injured earlier in the year and played in his first game yesterday.

An interception by Jeff Hinz at the Green 35 set up the Harvard field goal. Hinz galloped for an apparent touchdown, but an official inexplicably called the play back and awarded Harvard the ball on the 35. Team members said the official apologized to the Crimson coches after the game for the call.