Yacht Club Will Build New Boathouse; Fund Drive for $500,000 is Launched

The Harvard Yacht Club will build a $180,000 boating pavilion near M.I.T., ending a 30-year search for its own facilities.

The club's "Commodore," Donald R. Brewster '67, expects the club to move into its new home by April, 1966. For the first time, Harvard will be able to host it own regattas.

The plan of the pavilion introduces an architectural innovation. Designed by Sherman Morss '33, of Shepley, Richardson, Bulfinch, and Abbott, the architects of Leverett Towers and Quincy House, the boathouse will be attached to a floating barge. The unique construction will enable the combined structure to rise and fall with the level of the Charles River.

There will be a boatroom, and also a workshop for year-round maintenance of the boats on the bottom floor of the boathouse. The upper level will include a committee room, lockers, and an observation deck.

MDC Issues Permit

The Yacht Club was issued a permit last Thursday by the Metropolitan District Commission to build and operate the pavilion on a plot of MDC-owned land.

For 30 years, the Harvard sailors have borrowed the facilities of the M.I.T. Nautical Association. Until 1962, they also used the M.I.T. boats. Since then, the yachtsmen have bought 15 Interclub and six Finn Olympic Monotype dinghies.

The club is conducting a $500,000 fund-raising drive to finance construction of the new boathouse, to buy long-needed repair equipment, and to endow the salaries of a new professional instructor and a Sailing Master who would coordinate boathouse activities.

Campaign Head

The campaign is headed by James A. Rousmaniere '40, who retired last June as Director of the Harvard College Fund. As an undergraduate, Rousmaniere crewed on the championship boat that included the late President Kennedy.

Brewster anticipates further expansion of the club fleet after the completion of the present program. The Crimson sailors hope to add four more Finns and an ocean-going yawl for a total of 26 boats.

Harvard also hopes to continue its tradition of Olympic success. The club's former members include 1960 gold medalist George O'Day '45, 1948 gold medalist Hillary Smart '45, and 1964 bronze medalist Don McNamara. O'Day and Smart won in the 5.5 meter class, while McNamara took third in the Olympic Star class.