House Runners Try Today For Cross Country Crown

More than 75 students are expected to test their running prowess in the intramural cross country meet this afternoon. The harriers will start at the Dillon field House at 4 p.m. and run inside the iron fence around the athletic fields for about two miles.

For some, it will be just a casual jog, but many students are in good shape and have been preparing for races of this distance for sometime. Last year's first and second place finishers, Clive Kileff and Guy Carden, are now racing with the varsity cross country team.

The House that wins will have to have five reasonably high finishers rather than one or two outstanding trackmen. Each man who runs is assigned a number which corresponds to where he finished. The five lowest numbers from each House are added to determine the House's score, with the lowest total wining.

Quincy House Defending

Last fall, Quincy garnered top honors without placing a single runner in the top five. Eliot House finished second.

Abebe Munger, organizer of the Dunster contingent, said that some of the students run two to five miles at a time. three or four evenings a week. They are not only preparing for this race, he said. They simply enjoy running.

It is impossible to know who is entering until just before the race, according to Floyd S. Wilson, director of intramural athletics. In past years, however, eighty or more track enthusiasts have come out for the event.