Leary Discusses Non-Drug Ways To Expand Mind

Timothy Leary gave his first Harvard lecture in two and one half years, to a large and emphatic crowd at Phillips Brooks House last night.

As more than 150 students and hangers-on wedged themselves together in a small upstairs room, Leary spoke of new non-drug techniques for transcending "the Legal restrictions on the use of the drug have forced the two psychologists to continue their research into consciousness and perception without drugs, and Leary said last night that this privation has proven to be a blesing in disguise.

In experimenting with consciousness-expansion through the manipulation of "sensory energies" such as sound, light, Assuming the role of massiah with evient relish. Leary painted a bright picture of the future of research along the lines he favors. "The solutions to man's problems lie in the control and expansion of consciousness," he said, "and not in filling our garages with motorboats."

Leary was careful to warn that conciousness-expansion should only be attempted in a positive environment. "Be very careful," he said, "for the universe you're making is the only one you're going to get."

Leary will speak again tonight in Jordan Hall in Boston at 8 p.m.