Runners Tromp Princeton, Yale; Allen Sets Pace

Harvard runners captured four out of the first five spots as the cross country team crushed Princeton and Yale at the triangular meet at Princeton Friday.

Crimson captain David Allen broke the record for the new five-mile course by nearly 80 seconds, as twelve other finishers also cracked the old mark of 27:19.5. Allen's time was 26 minutes flat, seven seconds ahead of Princeton's Rich Gelsel.

The meet was supposed to be close between Harvard and Princeton, but you couldn't tell it as one Crimson runner after another crossed the line in sub-27 minute clockings. Jim Baker was third in 26:36, Bob Stempson followed in 26:41 and Walt Hewlett, still recovering from a muscle strain, completed the Harvard sweep by placing fifth in 26:50.

In the dual scoring, Harvard smashed Princeton 19-41 and Yale 16-47. Princeton toppled Yale 20-35.

Allen and Baker ran even all the way at a fast pace which Geisel and Allen Adrelni of Princeton couldn't maintain. Baker finally felt the pressure and lost 36 seconds in the last 200 yards, as Geisel moved up. Hewlett, despite the injury, kept an even, respectable pace until the last mile.

Other Crimson runners who bested the previous record were John Chaffee, seventh place; Randy Langenbash, eighth; and Clive Kileff, twelfth.

Harvard won the three-mile freshman meet also, although Princeton's Bill McIsaac won the race in 15:30.