Booters Battling Yale for Second In Finale Today

The Harvard soccer team's dreams f the Ivy League title were dashed by Brown last week, and today the Crimson will have to fight hard to salvage a tie for second place.

Yale and Harvard will line up at 2 p.m. on the field adjacent to Coxe Cage, sporting identical 4-2 Ivy records and tied with Penn for the runner-up slot in the league standings.

The varsity squad suffered an inevitable letdown after losing to Brown, 6-1, in the game it had been looking forward to all season. Coach Bruce Munro admitted that the team was depressed early his week. "But Thursday they looked like the old Harvard team. They played better than they have in the last three weeks."

They will have to play better than they did last Saturday to down Yale. The Eli boosters came within one goal of champion Brown, 3-2 at Providence October 9. except for a 3-0 loss to Penn, they told one-goal victories over all the other Ivy teams. This includes a 3-2 triumph over Cornell, the team that administered Harvard's first loss of the year.

Yale has scored only nine goals in its six Ivy encounters, but All-Ivy inside left Joe Upton and center forward John Griswold provide a dangerous scoring threat.

Upton, Griswold, and the rest of the Yale line will be up against Harvard goalie Nat Bowditch, who is making the final start of his three-year varsity career. Bowditch, who showed the rust of his four-week layoff when he let in four Brown goals, should be ready to return to the form that won him second team All-Ivy honors last year.

Captain and right halfback Bill Kerstetter will lead a half-dozen seniors in heir last soccer game for Harvard. In addition to Bowditch, this group includes insides Hugh Polk and Dave Taft, center halfback Chuck Okigwe and inside-halfback Fred Akuffo.

At Brown, Okigwe showed the effects of the foot injury that had sidelined him the three previous weeks. He couldn't get to practice this week, so Coach Munro will use the lineup that proved successful last month.

Akuffo will start at center half, and Taft will join Polk as starting inside, with the second tandem of Lutz Hoeppner and Bill Schaefer in reserve.

If the Crimson is weak anywhere, it is at the left fullback position. Karl Lunkenheimer went into the Brown game hampered by a foot injury, and the Bruins' Mark DeTora set up three tallies by racing past him. The junior fullback's foot continued to plague him in practice his week and a good Yale right wing could make him vulnerable again.

Yale plays the same kind of game that Brown does, with long passes and rough today contact. But Yale will not have the advantage of a wet field, and Harvard's short-passing game should regain the crispness it showed against Dartmouth and Princeton.

The Crimson players will have the added incentive of a chance to help Charlie Njoku win the individual scoring championship. Penn's Roger Lorherbaum notched his sixth goal against Dartmouth last week to tie the Crimson left-winger for the Ivy lead.