South Africa

Chief Africa National Congress (ANC) Representative to the United Nations Mfanafuthi Makatini assailed a pending constitutional reform up for consideration November 2, before a crowded audience yesterday at the Center for International Affairs.

The new South African constitution will attempt to broaden the political base of the apartheid regime by extending suffrage to Coloreds and Indians--but not African Blacks.

"This is aimed at weakening and diluting the anti-apartheid struggle," Makatini explained. "It is not a reform. It is an effort to expand the political base so that Coloreds and Indians can be used for compulsory military conscription, to feed the small while South African army."

He added that the only foreign endorsement for the constitution came from the U.S. State Department.

Makatini is the ANC director of international affairs and represents the organization at the U.N., where it has observer status.

Founded in 1912, the ANC is the oldest nationalist movement in South Africa and has been involved in a limited arms struggle for the past 23 years.

Last May, the ANC claimed responsibility for a bomb attack outside Pretoria Air Force Headquarters that killed 17 and injured more than 200.

Makatini and others foresee an inevitable full scale arms struggle and "bloody battle" in South Africa, he said.

South African Prime Minister P.W. Botha, who proposed the reform, has pushed the bill with an "Adopt or Die" slogan, while critics have responded with a slogan of "Adopt and Die."

Makatini said the point is moot, "The issue is not how the country is governed, but who governs the country. The only way the ANC sees is universal adult suffrage. That will bring majority rule."