Crimson JV's Beat Yale; Goldberg Scores in Third

By Boisfeuillet JONES Jr., (Special to the CRIMSON)

NEW HAVEN, Conn., Nov. 19--Sophomore halfback Marshall Goldberg scampered for two third period touchdowns as Harvard's Junior Varsity football team rolled over Yale today, 28-19, to complete a 6-1 season.

After battling Yale on even terms for most of the first half, a driving Crimson offense pushed the Elis back with 3 second half tallies.

Hicks Carries

In the opening minutes of play, following a Yale quick-kick Harvard marched 64 yards for a score. Except for one pass from quarterback Rick Zimmerman to halfback Gary Strandemo, Goldberg and fullback Tony Hicks carried the ball all the way in 11 tries. Hicks scored from the one yard line.

Yale's kicking specialist, Jerry Kinney, narrowed the margin to 7-6 at half time by booting field goals of 47 and 43 yards.

Sprint Hits Paydirt

Goldberg, taking the second half kickoff at his own four yard line, sprinted 96 yards up the middle to paydirt. Quarterback Pete Berg passed to end Chris ceiver -- for a two-point conversion.

Yale struck back as end Mark Young bobbled but held onto a 40-yard touchdown strike to make it 14-13. After the kickoff Harvard extended its slim lead by marching 59 yards on the ground in three minutes. Goldberg, Hicks, and Berg carried most of the way, with Goldberg scooting for he touchdown from he four yardline.

After guard Tim Burke partially blocked a Yale punt at midfield, Harvard was once again on the move. Marshall and Strandemo moved the ball to the Eli 38-yard line, where Berg, on a third-and-18 situation, passed to Strandemo at the ten-yard strike as the third period ended.

Barrels Over Middle

On the next play, Hicks barrelled over the middle for ten yards in his second 6-pointer of the afternoon.

The Yale offense, which met with some success through the air, found little rushing room through the Crimson defensive line. Ends Vic Petzy and Bob Hoffman, and linebacker Matt Donelan, paced the Mortenson -- the afternoon's top re-Harvard defense.