HARVARD BEATS YALE 13-0

Crimson Eleven Scores Twice In Second Half

By R. ANDREW Beyer and Donald E. Graham

All season long, Harvard coach John Yovicson has been waiting for his offence to break loose. It didn't work against Dartmouth, it didn't work agaist Penn, and t didn't work against Princeton. But for one half of today's Yale game, it worked to perfection, and gave Harvard a going away victory.

The score was 13 to 0.

John McCluskey led the Crimson backfield on an 81-yard drive--all on the ground--that culminated in Bobby Leo' four yard sprint around right end for a score. The Crimson's smooth defensetook advantage of Eli quarterback Watts Humphrey's desperate attempts to bring Yale back into the game to produce thes econd score.

After winning the toss and electing to receive, Yale started the game in slam-bang fashion. Jim Fisher took Jim Babcock kickoff on his two-yard line, veered to the left, and eluded the grasp of several Harvard tacklers. He was finally hit on the Crimson's 36-yard line by safetyman Tom Williamson after a gain of 62 yards.

But following that electrifying start, the game developed into the hard-hosed defensive battle everyone expected. On three running plays Yale ground out nine yards to the Crimson 27. With a fourth-and-one situation, fullback Don Barrows tried to go up the middle and was upended at the line of scrimmage by Harvard tackle Skip Sviokla.

HARVARD FIRST DOWN

Harvard picked up one first down. But then with a third down on their own 39, Crimson quarterback John McCluskey rolled to the right on an option pitchout play. As McCluskey was about to lateral the ball to halfback Wally Grant, end Rod Watson got his hand on the ball. The ball blooped high into the air, and was recovered on the Crimson 43 by Jim Howard.

But once again the Crimson defense held firmly. Yale advanced only 5 yards on three plays and had to punt.

The Crimson was stopped cold on its next two series of downs, and later in the quarter Yale began to move the ball well. Quarterback Watts Humphrey threw a 27-yard pass to end Jerry Kinney on the right sideline, then came back with an almost identical throw to Jim Groninger for 8 yards.

That brought the ball to Harvard's thirty. Runs by Jim Weigel and Groninger moved Yale to the Crimson 18, where their drive was halted. With fourth down and three, Dan Begel attempted a 35-yard field goal, which was wide to the left.

Harvard got its biggest break of the half when Yale halfback Chris Beutler was vivisected by four Harvard tacklers after Van Oudenallen's high punt at midfield. Steve Diamond recovered for Harvard at the Yale 48.

But Yale's shifting, stunting defenders, led by "monster" linebacker Bob Brundige, wouldn't let the Crimson move. The line smothered two end runs, and Brundige blasted through to block McCluskey's attempted screen pass on third down.

LONGEST CRIMSON DRIVE

The Elis picked up a first down on a Humphrey to Kenney pass but then had to punt, and Harvard began its longest drive of the day. Bobby Leo carried mammoth tackle Bob Greenlee for ten yards and a first down at the Harvard 45. Grant took advantage of a savage block by McCluskey and raced twelve yards off left end for a first down.

Leo drove for four yards inside tackle, but now Yale dug in. End Rob Watson came up with his second big play of the day, dropping Grant for a six yard loss. McCluskey's third-down pass to Grant arrived on one hop and Van Oudenallen had to kick.

The remaining eight-and-a-half minutes did not produce a first down. Carey's booming punts kept Harvard out of Yale territory. Van Oudenallen and Carey punted twelve times between them in the half, arey averaging 38 yards and Van Oudenallen 36

The Crimson effectively shut down Yale's long-passing attack and Humphrey, reluctant to throw short close to his own goal line, kept his team on the ground. The vicious tackles by Bob Barrett and Justin Hughes twice dropped Humphrey for long losses.

McCluskey wound up the half with just two completions in seven passing attempts. Humphrey was five-for-11 for Yale. Leo with just 27 yards was the half's leading ground gainer.

And then suddenly, Harvard's offense began to resemble to pre-season press notices. Tom Choquette and Leo got Harvard first down; three plays later the Crimson was confronted with a third and ten situation. Leo took a pitchout from McCluskey and with the ad of a fine block by Choquette rambled 25 yards to Elis 46.

Grant charged to the 10 and it was goal to go. On third down, McCluskey pitched to Leo who went into the end zone standing up. The kick made it 7-0.

Wthin a minute Harvard was back for more. Dave Poe intercepted an Eli pass and Harvard took it on the Yale 12. Chouette picked up a first on the one, then scored on the next play. The kick was blocked.