University Adds 4th Latin Expert

LATIN STUDIES--3

An Argentinian sociologist will come to Harvard next semester and will become the fourth Latin American expert to join the Faculty this year.

Gino Germani will fill the newly endowed Monroe S. Gutman Chair of Latin American Studies. The sociologist's arrival may be delayed because of technical difficulties over a passport.

The three other Latin American experts have been here since the beginning of the year, John H. Parry, recipient of the new Gardner Chair of Oceanic History, is a specialist on the Spanish explorations of America.

Albert O. Hirschman, professor of Political Economy, came to Harvard this year to study Latin America's economic difficulties. Enrique Anderson-Imbert, the first Victor S. Thomas Professor of Hispanic-American Literature and a short story writer, is studying the works of Spanish-speaking authors.

Catching Up

Thomas E. Skidmore, executive secretary of the Committee on Latin American Studies, said that the creation of these new chairs was partly the result of the Committee's agitation for an increase in Latin American studies. "We have been urging the various departments to fill chairs with men interested in Latin America," he said.

Skidmore noted that Harvard is just beginning to attract the graduate students who have traditionally gone to centers of Latin American study such as Columbia and the University of Texas. "We are finally catching up with these places," Skidmore said.