Leverett Defends Unbeaten Streak Against Winthrop

A football showdown is in the making but it won't take place tomorrow. The big event will occur Monday when the Winthrop House Puritans take on the powerful Bunnies of Leverett House.

Leverett has proved to be too much for the other Houses over the past two seasons, amassing a total of 204 points while giving up only seven in 14 games. Things have gotten so bad Dudley House could not find 11 men willing to go on the field against the Bunnies last Wednesday.

Only Kirkland managed to score against Leverett this year. But the out raged Bunnies quickly scored twice and Kirkland folded. One of those two touch downs was an electric 80-yard kick-off return by Leverett speedster Jim Thompson.

Bunnie coach Leo Swift admitted that strong defense, especially the linebacking, has been the secret to Leverett's domination of the league. "We've only had a few passes completed against us this year," he said.

Can Winthrop penetrate that defense and end the tyranny of the Bunnies? "Ridiculous," said Swift with a grin.