Columbia to Shoot Film at Harvard -- All We Gotta Do Is Act Naturally

A major Columbia Pictures film, costing between $3 and $4 million, will probably be shot at Harvard this winter. It will be called "Eli Kotch."

The film's two producers toured the campus yesterday in a big, black Lincoln Continental (license plate: 2X). One of the producers. Carter DeHaven III, described Harvard as "marvelous."

Eli Kotch will be played by actor James Coburn. According to the other producer, Bernard Birard. Kotch will be a "contemporary artistic hero."

"He'll be a rogue and pretend to be an aspiring writer at Harvard "a la Tom Wolfe." But he'll take out mostly domestics, get keys to the apartments of their employers, and then abscond with the jewels," Girard said.

"He's a drop-in student. He just forgot to register," the Hollywood producer added.

Girard was asked whether "Eli" was appropriate for a movie filmed at Harvard. "Yes," he replied, "this movie's really a satire on a satire."

About one-fourth of the film will be shot at Harvard, and production will begin when "there's snow on the ground." Girard said. The roving Kotch will also make appearances in New York, Denver, and Los Angeles.

Neither Girard nor DeHaven talked with the Administration yet. They plan to in the near future.

The star, Coburn, has "sort of a mean look," according to one frequent movie-goer. He has appeared in one other major Columbia film. "Major Dundee," starring Chariton Heston. A spokesman for Columbia was unable to name pictures produced by other companies in which Coburn had appeared.

According to the spokesman, no other major actors have been selected. He doubted, however, whether any Harvard or Radcliffe students could win a big role. "They'd have to prove themselves on film first."

Girard said, however, that there will be spot roles and walk-one. "And any place we shot, they would get paid."