Full-Time Protection

A month ago three Harvard students were attacked on the Weeks Bridge by five local youths. Two of the students were stabbed and had to be hospitalized. This most serious incident has spotlighted the continuing lack of adequate protection for students crossing the bridge.

After earlier less serious attacks the University and the Metropolitan District Commission Police took steps to make the bridge safer. The MDC installed lights along the bridge. From time to time the University Police assigned an officer to patrol the area on the north side of the Charles. But these measures have proved ineffective.

Last month's incident has prompted the MDC Police and the University to act again. Dean Watson has been discussing the problem with MDC Commissioner Howard Whit-more. They have decided to put a spotlight on the footbridge that crosses Storrow Drive, to examine the present lighting of Weeks Bridge, and to install, on the north side of the river, an emergency telephone, with a direct line to the Basin station of the MDC Police.

The University Policeman assigned to patrol in front of Leverett and Dunster Houses will continue to do so. The MDC's Basin and Brighton stations -- which have jurisdiction over the bridge and its approaches -- will have patrol cars stop at the Weeks Bridge every half hour and check in from an emergency call box that is to be installed in the middle of the bridge.

But more can and should be done now to make the Weeks Bridge safe at night. The College should propose that the University Police be given jurisdiction over the bridge. They will be able to assign officers to patrol the bridge at night. The two MDC Police stations don't have the manpower to keep a patrolman on the bridge. And only such patrolling will prevent any further attacks on students crossing the Weeks Bridge.