Archives Named For Schlesinger

The Women's Archives of Radcliffe College has been renamed the Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America in honor of the late Francis Lee Higginson Professor of History emeritus and his wife.

The archives, a research library of manuscripts and published works documenting the role of women in American History, is now housed in Byerly Hall. It is expected that the collection will move to the old Radcliffe Library once all the books and facilities have been transferred to the new library and study center on Garden St.

The archives is one of two research libraries in America devoted to the study of women in American history. The other one is located at Smith College in Northampton.

Noted Social Historian

Schlesinger, a noted American social historian, was a Radcliffe trustee for 21 years and served on the Advisory Board of the Women's Archives for 16 years.

He donated 118 books on etiquette in America, dating from 1811, to the archives.

Mrs. Schlesinger shared her husband's interest in American social history and has published articles on famous American women in The New Republic and American Heritage.