Harvard Swordsmen Top C.C.N.Y.; Epee Team Shines in 17-10 Upset

It looks like New York will have to stop snickering at Harvard fencing. For the second year in a row, the Crimson has thrashed vaunted C.C.N.Y. 17-10.

C.C.N.Y., always among the top five teams in the country, was just as smug as last year. But when the blades stopped flashing at the end of the first round, C.C.N.Y. stopped sneering, for Harvard was on top 6-3. In epee -- supposedly C.C.N.Y.'s great strength and the Crimson's weakness -- Harvard took all three bouts

Harvard never lost the lead, winning the second round 5-4 and the third 6-3.

Epee Team Triumphs

It wasn't astounding to see the Harvard sabre men win 6-3. But the epee team's 6-3 triumph over C.C.N.Y. will raise eyebrows all over the East. C.C.N.Y.'s epee squad is one of the top contenders for first place in the Nationals.

The first of sophomore Harry Jergesen's three wins in epee was against C.C.N.Y.'s best fencer, junior Bob Chernick, fourth in the Easterns last year. C.C.N.Y. was unnerved by seeing its Achilles fall at the beginning of the battle. Sophomore Steve Shea barely lost to Chernick, 5-4, but won his other two bouts. Junior Brian Keidan took one bout.

Captain Rick Kolombatovich carried the foil team to a 5-4 victory. Kolombatovich won all three of his bouts. Juniors Tom Musliner and Dan Isaacson both beat. C.C.N.Y.'s Steve Bernard for their only wins of the afternoon.

Profeta Tallies

Senior Paul Profeta slashed through three opponents to pace the Crimson's 6-3 sabre triumph. Junior Bob Damus clipped two C.C.N.Y. swordsmen. Substituting for Dave Redmond in the last round, senior Al Makaitis beat C.C.N.Y.'s Nevile Duncan.

Harvard's fourth win in a row vindicated Cooch Edo Marion's freshman coaching technique. While C.C.N.Y. tells its freshmen to charge and attack, Marion stresses careful technique. The C.C.N.Y. method produced winning freshman teams, but the freshmen can't use the same tactics when they graduate to the varsity. Several C.C.N.Y. varsity fencers tried to win with bombast, but they were caught by Harvard stop thrusts.

C.C.N.Y.'s freshmen beat Harvard 17-10