Powerful Clarkson Six Conquers Harvard, 4-2

Clarkson overpowered the Harvard hockey team 4-2 at Watson Rink last night, but the Crimson six staged a gallant effort against one of the best teams in the East.

Once again, Kent Parrot and Pete Waldinger provided the offensive might. After six minutes of the first period, Parrot took the puck at his own blue line, and stickhandled party every member of the Clarkson squad. His 15-foot shot was kicked out, but Waldinger, with almost no angle, pushed the puck between goalie Terry Yurkiewicz's legs.

Despite sloppy passing in their defensive zone, the Crimson skaters looked like sure bets to take the lead to the dressing room. But one pass too many went awry, and Jerry Emond took advantage of the gift for an unassisted goal at 19:45.

Clarkson pulled ahead midway through the second period. Fred Silver slapped a shot from the left side, and it deflected off Jack Levitt's stick for a score. Harvard netminder Bill Fitzsimmons had no chance on that one.

The Crimson bounced back and applied heavy pressure against Yurkiewicz. But the senior from Ontario folled every shot to protect a 2-1 lead at the second period ended.

Clarkson had two chances to break the game open in the early minutes of the third period. Twice, Fitzsimmons was called upon to stop one-man breakaways and he handled them both perfectly.

With Gerry Kovolchuk in the penalty box, the Harvard power play finally woke up. Parrot passed to Waldinger as they crossed the blue line, but Parrot fell and slid toward the net. Waldinger found an opening and fired the puck past Parrot and Yurkiewicz for the trying goal.

Deadlock Hopeless

A deadlock against Clarkson was not in the Crimson's power, and the visitors took loss than three minutes to prove it. Fitzsimmons turned away a flurry of shots, but went sprawling on the ice. Bob Empie wrested his stick loose from the scramble in front of the net and shoveled the puck limply into the empty cage.

Down by a goal, Harvard couldn't mount an attack in the final few minutes. For some reason, Coach Cooney Weiland did not life goalie Fitzsimmons for the last 30 seconds, although the action was in the Clarkson end. Suddenly, Brian Dooling stole the puck at his blue line, took it all the way down, and beat Fitzsimmons as if the net were empty anyway.

It was a scrappy effort by the Crimson against a stronge rteam. But once again, the deefnse could have been much better and the second and third lines were not controlling the play.