New Appointment Likely to Bolster Drive Against Underpass Proposals

WHITMORE NAMED NEW MDC HEAD

By Robert J. Samuelson

Governor Volpe today is expected to name former Newton mayor Howard Whitmore Jr. '29 as commissioner of the Metropolitan District Commission, replacing Robert F. Murphy, whose term expires today.

Whitmore, this fall's unsuccessful Republican opponent of Senator Edward M. Kennedy '54, now becomes responsible for the MDC's 490-man police force as well as the roadways and recreational facilities the MDC maintains throughout the metropolitan area.

His agency is scheduled to build the three underpasses along Memorial Drive at River St., Western Ave. and Bolyston St.

Observers speculated last night that Whitmore's appointment would aid the campaign to stop the construction of the underpasses. "He might be considerably more approachable," one man said. Another suggested that the more transition between Murphy and Whitmore would delay progress on the underpasses.

Opponents of the underpasses are confident that construction will not begin until the legislature has had a chance to act on three bills that would either subject the matter to new study or repeal the 1962 legislation authorizing the MDC to build the underpasses.

During last fall's gubernatorial campaign, Volpe suggested that the MDC re-examine plans for the underpasses with an eye towards preserving "the now famous sycamore trees." He said that the access routes to the Boylston St. underpass might be eliminated to save the trees. It is conceivable, therefore, that Whitmore might undertake a new study of the underpasses before approving final plans.

While head of the MDC, Murphy was credited with freeing the agency of scandal, reviving morale, and instituting many innovations. He was appointed in 1960 after his predecessor, Charles W. Greenough, had resigned. Greenough later pleaded guilty to conflict of interest charges.

Active Politician

Now 66, Murphy has been active in state politics for nearly four decades. He has been Democratic leader of the House and Lieutenant Governor. After being informed Friday that he would not be re-appointed, Murphy said he would retire from public service.

Meanwhile over the weekend, two more statements supporting the anti-underpass bills were issued by the Citizens Emergency Committee to Save Memorial Drive--one from "historians" and the other from "city planners and traffic experts."

Among those signing the historians' statement were Frank B. Freidel Jr., professor of History, and Clifford K. Shipton '26, Custodian of University Archives.

The planners statement, written by Alan McClennen '33, Cambridge Planning Director, said that a study by "the Cambridge Board and traffic director has shown that a $100,000 electronic signal system would accomplish substantially the same ends as the proposed $7 million expenditure for underpass construction.