Faculty Will Face a New Gen Ed Plan

The debate over the Doty Report will above into a new phase today when an alternative proposal based on the views 22 Faculty members comes up for discussion.

The new plan was prepared by the Committee on Educational Policy, which corporated views of the 22. Copies of proposal were mailed out to Faculty members last week.

Today they will consider the alternative plan point by point as the recommendations made in chapter four of Doty Committee's report are offered approval.

Dean Ford said yesterday that Giles Constable '50, associate professor of history, would be certain to speak at meeting. Constable is associated in the major feature of the alternative plan--the absence of a Gen Ed requirement since he raised it as a possibility at an earlier Faculty meeting. The alternative plan suggests that contents be required only to take four courses outside their area of concentration. One course would have to be Gen from each of the three Gen Educations (which, the plan says, should renamed Sciences, Humanities, and Social Studies).

According to Constable, the plan is signed to emphasize the quality of inaction rather than the categorization courses.

When discussion of General Educations begins at today's meeting, Paul M. Doty, professor of Chemistry, will have the floor. Doty has prepared a package of six motions, and he is now on the path--asking acceptance of the non-administrative recommendations in his Committee's report. He and Richard T. '48 are expected to speak in favor the report's proposals.

Most of the meeting, however, will probably be devoted to a discussion of an alternative plan. This is possible under parliamentary procedure because the new plan contains features corresponding to almost all of those in the Doty Report.