Mahoney Wins 3-Meters For Second EISL Crown

By John D. Gerhart, (Special to the CRIMSON)

NEW HAVEN, Conn., March 1--Harvard's Danny Mahoney proved himself unquestionably one of the finest divers in the nation tonight, winning the three-meter diving crown by an impressive 34 points in the Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming Championships at Yale.

Mahoney, who won the low-board championship on Thursday, became the Crimson's first double winner in the Easterns since Bruce Hunter won both freestyle sprints in 1961. The unbeaten Harvard senior, after leading throughout the preliminaries this afternoon, fell behind on the eighth of his 11 dives, then dramatically poured in three beautiful plunges for the victory.

It was, however, the Bulldogs' night to howl. Yale, led by double winners Steve Clark and Roger Goettsche, who set an Eastern record of 54.2 in the 100-yard backstroke, garnered a fat 318 points to runner-up Army's 257. Harvard finished in ninth place with 76 points.

The Eli's freestyle relay team, gunning for the NCAA championship next week, took 2.5 seconds off the old record with a 3:08.9 clocking. Yale's Dave Lyons swished to a 52.6-second victory in the 100-yard butterfly, followed by teammate Tim Kennedy.

Fowler Takes Third

Harvard's outstanding breaststrokers, junior Bruce Fowler and sophomore Bob Corris, placed third and fourth in the 100-yard breaststroke behind Yale's Dick Lawler and Dallas Clarke of Navy, the winner in 1:03.0. Fowler, last year's champion and holder of the Eastern record of 1:02.1, led the qualifiers with a 1:02.9 clocking, but fell just inches short in a very close finals.

Navy's Tim Peard was the fourth double winner of the tournament, adding an 18:12.9 victory in the 1650-yard freestyle to his 400-yard, individual medley win Thursday night. Villanova's Richard Girdler upset Army's Tony Clay to win the 100-yard freestyle in 47.3.

Fowler Takes Third