RGA Debates Move to Add To Parietals

The Radcliffe Government Association yesterday took up a motion to expand parictal hours, but four administration officials present at the meeting urged the RGA to put it back down--quick.

Mrs. Helen H. Gilbert, acting president of Radcliffe, said she had discussed the motion with Mrs. Bunting. "Mrs. Bunting urges you to think twice," said Mrs. Gilbert. "You have now more hours than Harvard does. You might be raising an issue which would cut your parietals rather than increase them."

The motion would raise the upper limit on dorm parictal hours from 25 to 75 hours per week.

Unenforceable?

Catherine D. Williston, dean of North House, questioned whether dorm committees could adequately enforce liberalized rules. Jeremy D. Adams, head resident of Briggs Hall, indicated that present rules are not strictly enforced at some off-campus houses. Adams later stated he was "overwhelmingly opposed" to the motion.

Mrs. M. Jinny Coombe, head resident of Moors Hall, attacked the motion on the grounds that girls who use parietals extensively inconvenience their roommates. "When a girl choose to live in an apartment, she chooses two girls she will get along with. She does not choose their boy friends," said Mrs. Coombe.

Students at the meeting appeared to take a different view of the proposal. One called the 25-hour limit "arbitrary," adding that it would be "more sensible" to abolish it.

Judith A. Parker '66, a representative from Barnard, said that if the motion is rejected by RGA, she would initiate a college-wide referendum to reconsider it. Two years ago, the present rules on sign outs were passed by such a referendum after they had been rejected by RGA.