Vellucci Attacks 'Harvard Empire'; Scores Anti-Student Discrimination

By Robert J. Samuelson

In 1804 Pope Pius VII crowned Napoleon Emperor; last night another Italian (well, almost) did somewhat the same for the President of Harvard.

"Harvard is an Empire and Pusey is King," City Councillor Alfred E. Vellucci solemnly pronounced. He issued his proclamation before a small group of devotees in the Dunster House Junior Common Room.

Like Pius VII, Vellucci would not curb his criticism of the Empire. He charged that the University is discriminating against its own students.

"Harvard University Police are tagging University automobiles on Cambridge streets. "I think you students are being singled out. I don't know anyone in the City who gets tagged at night except Harvard students, and that's a clear case of discrimination," Vellucci declared.

The Cambridge Councillor proposed that all money collected by the University from tickets be turned over to the City. "That's going to be a good question for the next Counsel meeting," he pledged to his audience. "Harvard's got a little racket going."

Some students defended the University. "I don't like to have my car tagged, but it's for the benefit of the City," one said, explaining that the regulation kept students' cars off Cambridge streets and in the Business School parking lot.

"I wouldn't park my car across the river and walk all the way over there to get it," Vellucci replied.

Vellucci also assured his audience that he had not forgotten the request of some Radcliffe students to rename Plympton St. Cliffle Lane. "Some afternoon when I can catch all the Councillors napping I'll pull it ox," he promised. He also revealed that other Cliffies had proposed changing everything in Cambridge named Harvard to Radcliffe. "Radcliffe Square," he mused.

Vellucci also told the story of one of his long-dead controversial proposals: to turn the Lampoon building into a public lavatory. It had been the idea of a CRIMSON editor, he recalled.

"I consented."

"Why so?" asked a student.

He smiled. "Just for fun. We like to have some fun too, you know."