Packard Retires After 37 Years; English P May Not Be Resumed

Frederick C. Packard Jr. '20, professor of Public Speaking, will rotire this spring after 37 years on the Harvard Faculty.

His course, English P. "Dramatic Interpretation and Background of Theatre," and the College's only course for credit in the performing arts. According to Harry P. Kerr, associate professor of Public Speaking, the English Department will probably not make an effort to resume the course.

It is Packard's belief that "you can't understand an art unless you partake in it." Interpretation is reflection--impersonation is the basis of acting," he says. Hence the facet of his course most often recalled by his former students is his imitation assignment, in which the student is asked to master the voice of a famous actor.

Packard's theatrical experience includes work with Baker's 47 Workshop, a year on the stage, and some teaching time at Dartmouth.

Packard, who has spent 42 years altogether at Harvard, was made assistant professor at Harvard, was made assistant professor in 1928, associate in 1938, and full professor in 1964.

Commenting on Harvard's reluctance to institute a program in the performing arts and on the issue of professionalism in the college, Packard said "Harvard is like me, it's vain. It doesn't want to get involved in a project unless it will be great. Great."

Packard, who also gives a course in the Divinity School, plans to write a book called Speech for the Minister, which has been commissioned by the Abingdon Press, and also plans to write another book later.