Harvard Sextet Defeats Tigers in Overtime, 3-2; Smith Makes Two Goals

By Joel Havemann, (Special to the CRIMSON)

PRINCETON, N.J., March 2--Harvard's hockey team continued its long-standing domination over Princeton here tonight, 3-2, but it needed more than six minutes of sudden-death over-time to do it.

Baldy Smith got the winner, his second goal of the night, by taking Pete Miller's pass on the left wing and sliding a soft, easy shot under the Princeton goalie.

Princeton took a 2-0 led in the first period of a game in which neither team could mount much of an offense. Smith and defenseman Bobby Clark tied it for Harvard in the second frame, and that's how it stayed until the over-time.

Crimson goalie Wade Welch had to make some fine saves late in the third period to send the game into over-time.

Tigers Grab Lead

Princeton took advantage of two Harvard penalties to grab its 2-0 lead in the first period. Mike Peterman scored first at 13:16 when Steve Cook's long pass bounced out to him off the Crimson backboard. Then Charlie McMillan made it 2-0 with just nine seconds left with a goal from the blue line.

In the second period it was Harvard's turn to cash in. Clark narrowed the gap while the Crimson had a man advantage at 4:05 by firing in Smith's pass from 30 feet out. Smith had taken Kevin Burke's rebound to set up Clark.

Score Tied

Smith finally tied the score at 16:58, on a shot from almost the same spot as Clark's Kenny Burnes sent Smith from the side-boards, and Pate Miller also assisted.

The pace of the third period was quite fast, but no one could score. Princeton was forcing the play as the period ended, and Welch had to make several good saved to keep Harvard in the game.