Pardee's Injury Deflates Chances, Dampens Morale for IC4A Contest

By Philip Ardery

Three days ago, Bill McCurdy had a smile on his face. His runners had obliterated all opposition in the Heptagonals and looked as though they just might sneak away with Harvard's first IC4A championship since 1928.

McCurdy isn't smiling anymore. High jumper Chris Pardee, IC4A titlist last year and a sure thing to take at least second place and four points this time, sprained his ankle Wednesday during some shenanigans around the pole vault pit. He has been on crutches ever since and won't be able to jump in New York tonight unless God intervenes on behalf of his alma mater.

The deflation of team morale as a result of Pardee's accident is sure to cost the Crimson more than Chris's score alone. This Harvard team has been buoyed up all season long by its enthusiasm. Three days ago it was up for the IC4A's; now it's down.

Since 20 points will probably win the meet, Black Wednesday's misfortune is of catastrophic proportions. Once a co-favorite along with Maryland and defending champion Villanova, the Crimson now looks no better than a third place contender and may have to argue with Georgetown and Fordham to finish that high.

Now the meeting is shaping up a battle between Maryland's field event performers and Villanova's runners. The Terrapins will build up a solid lead in the afternoon, and the Wildcats will hack away at it as the night rolls on.

Villanova Favored

Villanova rates a slight edge because of its record of fine showings in this meet and its experience on the boards. Tom Sullivan, who won the mile last year in 4:11.8, is a defending champion for the Wildcats and is favored to retain his title against a field that includes Georgetown's Joe Lynch and Army's Jim Warner.

Noel Carrell, who won the 1000 for Villanova two years ago but had to settle for second place in 1964, should get back in the winning habit tonight and give the Wildcats a second victory. Teammate Al Adams is another potential scorer for Villanova in this event.

The rest of the Wildcats' points will come in the relays, the hurdles, and the dash. Larry Livers took a third place is the 60-yard hurdles last year and teammate Ken Coniglio finished sixth in the same event, but the two will be lucky to score three points between them tonight. The field includes Harvard's Aggrey Awori and Tony Lynch, and navy's Courtland Gray.

Marshall Uzzle and Earle Horner were both IC4A scorers in the dash last year, but Awori has beaten both in competition this winter. Still, the pair may combine for a few more precious points for Villanova.

The Wildcats will almost certainly be shut out in the field events, and this is where Maryland will score heavily. Mike Cole is the East's only collegiate 24-ft. broad jumper and is a heavy favorite to take first place in this event. Teammate Lewis Schetzka, who jumps in the 23 ft., 6 in range, may also contribute some points.

Sophomore Frank Costello is the only 6 ft., 10 in high jumper around and is a virtual shoo-in with Pardee out of the competition.

Two Terrapin pole vaulters, Stuart Markeley and Robert Williams, have cleared 15 ft., and two others have topped 14. Navy's Mike Brown should win this event, but Maryland could escape with as many as seven points.

Other possible scorers for the Terrapins are Ed Hearon, a 55 ft. shot putter; Dick Sheer, a 0:07.4 hurdler; and Ramsey Thomas, who clocked around 1:13 in the 600. Addition points may come from broad-jumper Cole in the dash.

A Shot For Harvard

Only if a good number of the Maryland and Villanova performers falter will Harvard have a decent shot at the title. Fortunately the opportunity of head-to-head competition gives the Crimson a chance to make sure that they do.

Awori and Wayne Anderson will be in the dash field event against the strong runners from the favored schools, Fordham's Sam Perry and St. John's Tom Bauer. These last two have not been in tip-top condition of late, so a win by a Harvard runner is, God help us, not unthinkable.

Awori and Lynch are among the best in the hurdles, though the narrow spacing of the dash finals and hurdles in the evening's schedule makes it likely that Awori cannot be at this best in both. If Lynch can best Courtland Gray, as he did in Ithaca last Saturday, that may well be good enough for the title.

It all goes perfectly, the Crimson can do it, but as Bill McCurdy knows, all seldom does. Figure on third place and wait till next year.