Kolb, Dooley, Winig Carry Fencers Past Yale in Season's Finale, 20-7

The Crimson fencing squad wrapped up one more disappointing season on Saturday with a final flicker of success. They beat Yale 20-7 in the IAB.

Captain Jon Kolb in sabre, Dave Dooley in foll, and returning Hugh Winig in opee turned in three victories each to lead the team. Weak Yale teams in foll and epee allowed Tom Musliner and Dan Isancson to win two each in the former weapon, and Rich Kolombatovich and Paul Mundie did the same in epee for the best show of the year.

Paul Profeta defeated two Yale opponents in sabre, and Mike Nigro conquered one sabre-wielder to round out the score.

The entire nine-man squad will enter the Eastern Championships at Columbia this weekend. Kolb, whose 13-2 Ivy record is sure to place him on the all-Ivy team for the second year running, and Dooley, will enter the National Championships with an as-yet-undetermined epee representative in Detroit March 19 and 20.

Although this victory brought the team up to an impressive 12-4 record for all meets this year, the Ivy record is an undistinguished 2-3, including losses to Princeton, Columbia, and Penn. This is the same record that placed them fourth in the League last year.

Unlike previous years, the team got off to a very successful start and even had Ivy title hopes for a short time. But then the bottom fell out of epee, and the sabre and foil didn't hold up the way they should have anyway.

The root of Harvard fencing problems is that it simply isn't considered a very important sport here, and it is impossible to compete with the New York schools, especially Columbia, which recruit the best fencers in the city every year.

But with a few juniors who have improved tremendously and a solid sophomore contingent this year, hopes for next year are reasonably high. But don't count on it--yet.