Penn Tops Stickmen; 2 Starters Sidelined

A stirring rally by Harvard in the third petered out in the fourth and the lacrosse team succumbed to pennsylvania 11-3 in a game here on .

Trailing Pennsylvania 9-5 for most of third quarter, Harvard stickmen Byrne and Keith Hutchinson scored goals within the last three minutes the quarter.

In the final seconds of the quarter, Dick Ames, in perhaps the most play of the game, intercepted pass thrown by the Penn goalie, quickly to the unguarded goal bringing the score to 9-8.

All the fire and fight went out of the Crimson in the final quarter. Penn pushed two more goals through the rather weak Harvard defense. With captain Fred Gates and goalie Peter Fine both sitting on the bench--the one with an injured hamstring muscle and the other booted out of the game early in the second quarter--the defense had been hurting for most of the game.

Subs Try Hard

Defensemen Dave Davis and Dan Calderwood performed an adequate job of filling for most of the game. But Davis was obviously pretty tired by the final quarter and was often his own worst enemy.

Harvard's mid-field was a little disorganized throughout the game and by the final quarter the attack slowed down a great deal. Though infrequently in possession of the ball, the Harvard offense did not make the best of the occasional opportunities it had to score. They usually spent a grent deal of time attempting to set up plays instead of taking quick advantage of openings in front of the goal. In almost all instance the attempt to set up plays resulted in loss of the ball.

Subs Try Hard

Subs Try Hard

Subs Try Hard