Rights Workers to Meet at Dartmouth

More than 500 prospective civil rights workers from New England colleges will converge on Dartmouth on April 23 and 24 to learn about summer civil rights projects in the North and South.

The convention was called by SNCC CORE, SDS, and the Southern Christlar Leadership Conference to present to students a "clear picture of the choices facing them in civil rights work," the Rev Richard E. Mumma, head of the Harvard United Ministry and a member of the convention planning committee, said yesterday.

The convention was originally planned for Harvard but officials decided to change the site late last night when they learned that Dartmouth could accommodate many more delegates.

A panel of spokesmen from the civil rights groups will describe their organizations' policies at the opening session of the convention on the evening of Saturday, April 23. "They are genuinely interested in convincing students that community development and neighborhood education projects among Northern Negroes are as important as Mississippi Freedom Schools," Mumma said.

The panes members will also condue small seminars on the afternoon of the second day to discuss details of their projects with convention delegates.

"Students who are willing to become involved in the movement are often uncertain about the conflicting doctrines and aims of these disparate groups," Mumma explained. "The pane's and discussion groups should dispel this confusion."

SDS, which is based in Northern metro politan areas, is expected to organizo arban Negroes on neighborhood issues to convince them of their political power. The SCLC will continue Martin Luther King's voter registration work in the Black Belt of Alabama.

Each of the civil rights organizations is emphasizing a different facet of civil rights activity this summer, Mamma said. CORE will continue voter registration projects in the South. SNCC volunteers will concentrate on lobbying for the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party in Washington, D.C.

Harvard students wishing information about the convention should call the United Ministry office in PBH.