Harvard - Penn Tennis Match Is Rained out

"We practiced on hard courts for a week, finally got the team in top physical condition, had 'em beat 9-0 on paper, and then it rained," a disappointed Jack Barnaby joked after the Harvard-Penn tennis match was washed out in Philadelphia yesterday afternoon.

The long-anticipated contest between Princeton's challengers for the league title will not be played unless both defeat Princeton and tie for the championship. In that case, the match would be played at Penn after the New England Intercollegiate, which end May 16, Schedule conflicts don't permit a rematch before then.

Lion Down

The Harvard team drops down a couple of notches today and plays outclassed Columbia in New York.

Last year Harvard decisively won over the Lions, 8-1; this year it could be even worse. Princeton easily blanked Columbia, 9-0, Wednesday, without losing a set. Columbia's only player who put up any kind of a battle was number two man Tuck Ganzenmuller, who bowed to Tiger Ham Magill, 6-4, 6-4.

Except for a match Wednesday with weakling Williams, the Crimson varsity will spend all of next week preparing for Saturday's contest at Princeton. With the Penn match called off, Harvard's position in the Eastern Intercollegiate Tennis League will be decided by only the Princeton outing.